Monday, October 13, 2008

Health Warning for Children & Adults


Did you know that Turtles can cause not only Children, but also Adults, a severe allergy and illness? Last September, I purchased 2 small "Red-Eared Sliders" for our classroom. They enjoyed life in a large tank, dontated by a lovely friend. The creatures, aptly named Rick & Bubba, enjoyed life in the tank, being fed by the children, and "scooting out" once in a blue moon.
However, unbeknownst to me, their algae build up, small as it was, began a deadly virus in my system. The mold, which I was very allergic to, wracked my system for months, deadly, and invisible. Until one day, I collapsed. The doctors said I had a virus, and would need rest. They treated me for nausea, vomiting, and virtigo. Two weeks later, there was no change. Another doctor took an x-ray of my sinus cavities, and found that every crevise was filled completely. (Gross!!!) I had been sleeping 13 hours a day, and taking small naps also. Although my nose wasn't running, and I wasn't coughing, there was so much mucus built up inside. The muscles in my face began to freeze and lock, and my jaw was in complete pain.
My first doctor's trip was Dec, 02. It was not until mid-Feb that I realized what was wrong. The Turtles were given away immediately, and slowly things returned to "normal". I've started school again this year, with no creatures. Over Spring Break, and Summer Break, the illness continued to shed itself. The allergy is working it's way out of my body, and has reached my stomach lining. Because of the drainage irritating my stomach, there are many foods I cannot eat, and after eating, feel like throwing it all back up.
Turtles have slimy diseases, and parents are warned to "wash your hands after handling!", but I'm telling you, don't even get the things!!! It isn't worth the medical bills, and the soul-sucking sleep your child will be doing for the next 1/2 year or more.

No comments:

I pledge.....

I pledge.....
Have you hugged a Soldier today:?